Monday 7 June 2010

Bring on the recipes!

200 recipes might not seem a lot over 500 days for some people. I am not one of those people.
I absolutely love to cook. I love to stir, whisk, poach, bake, fry, boil and mix all sorts of delicious food. Cakes, cookies, steaks, stews, omelettes, oven baked chicken, barbeque or broiling I don't care, bring it on, i love to cook.

However I can not (and will not) follow recipes. I follow them for a step or two, then i ad a little of this, ad a little of that, and just a liiiittle pinch of...
200 recipes followed down to the last letter. No "adding this for extra flavour", no "adding a little body" or "giving a little punch". Step by step, follow the book, be a good cook.

Now i realize that the proceess of experimenting and the creative mind is valued in the kitchen. And that the great cooks all can create fabulous dishes with a hint of this and that.
But I am not a great cook, and i have not struggled through hours of training, follow the reicpes first. I even remember ditching the recipe when i was 8 and making dinner for my family, thinking it wasn't "interesting" enough.

So today i start, first of is "Scampi/Big shrimp with home made mango chutney and rice". And tomorrow/wednesday i will make marmelade.
Now i hear the water boiling.
Result will be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment